daily preciousness

Friday, December 09, 2005

my humps

Postcard from the culturewars

Okay. I know I'm not in the forefront of a cultural revolution or anything. I realize that there's nothing fabulashly unique about this. It is not a thing of otherworldly beauty. "Transcendent" is not the word you'd use to describe it.

But I am truly mesmerized by this "distill every hip-hop cliche into a single song. It's all there, from greed to lust to envy. All in one song. And the kids are loving it. Just ask little Cassidy. (Boy, I'll bet that somebody's really proud of Daddy's Little Whore!) Or the creative boys from exclamation films. (You go, you crazy gaysians!)

I disagree with Slate's point of view -- "[it's] a song so awful it hurts the mind." I think that "My Humps" is simply a big parody of the whole hip-hop world view. Human beings are not commodities to be bought and sold. Our minds and souls are worth more than brand name labels, flashy jewelry and appropriately sized mammary glands. And they know it. And now, so do you, Cassidy!

I'm going shopping for some bling now,
Jblend

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home