daily preciousness

Friday, March 01, 2002

train car karaoke

Over and over again I tried to type up a short entry yesterday. Over and over again, I was interrupted. That is a shame, because I wanted to write about my train car karaoke experience.

Yesterday morning, I left home promptly at 7. The walk to the station was a cold one, since we had an arctic blast of a cool front. Wrapped up in my warm red fleece scarf and cap, I braved the cold Western winds. It's a short walk -- only about 5 minutes -- to the station, so I'm usually in a good mood by the time I'm there. Yesterday morning was no different. I hopped on the train while my MD player pumping cheerful, bouncy music into my head.

I was completely alone. Just me and the orange plastic seats.

The train lumbered away from the station as I stood in the middle of the car, hanging onto the cold metal bar. I could feel the chill of the metal, even though my soft cotton gloves. But the chill couldn't get to me, because I was in such a happy-go-lucky mood.

The masonic temple tower, usually a gloomy and foreboding presence on the northern horizon, was pretty cheerful today in the blue-skies and sunlight weather. It slowly faded into the background as I walked up and down the empty car.

The bouncy, bouyant music really got to me, because I had an irresistable urge to sing out loud.

So I did.

I belted out Elvis' (and Willie's) "You were always on my mind," waltzing down the aisle at 30 miles an hour.

Talk about a great way to start off the day! (:

Lunch was great that day, too. I'd made some jambalaya for Peter, who had helped me move house a few weeks ago. I had a little left over for lunch, so I chowed down on some freshly microwaved tofu jambalaya. Very tasty. The aroma was intense -- I'd doubled the amount of oregano and paprika. 'Cause I'm whack-crazy like that. Aaaah, yeah.

Before I left work, I found a great little poem by Dr. Seuss. It's about birthdays, but it's also about the simple joy of being alive.

Wanna hear it?

Okay. It goes a li'l sumthin' like this:

If we didn't have birthdays

If we didn't have birthdays, you wouldn't be you.
If you'd never been born, well then what would you do?
If you'd never been born, well then what would you be?
You might be a fish! Or a toad in a tree!
You might be a doorknob! Or three baked potatoes!
You might be a bag full of hard green tomatoes.
Or worse than all that ... Why you might be a WASN'T.
A Wasn't has no fun at all. No, he doesn't.
A Wasn't just isn't. He just isn't present.
But you ... You ARE YOU!And now, isn't that pleasant.
~Dr. Seuss

There, now you can see the kind of mood I was in Monday. Now isn't that pleasant?

Peace out to my peeps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home